It is a very young congregation only being formed on 27th April 2016. This was formed when the 2 churches of Old Luce (Glenluce Village) and New Luce came together. The church roll has 225 people on the roll. There are also 5 adherents.
There has been a church in the village for many centuries. Christianity probably reached this parish in the 5th century during the time of St Ninian and his followers. In 1190 with the establishing of Glenluce Abbey, the parish was served by vicars from the Cistercian Order for more than 400 years until the Reformation. The church building on the present site was built in 1814. In 1962 the congregations of Old Luce and Ladyburn Churches united.
New Luce Church was founded in 1647 as the Moor Kirk of Luce after the original parish of Glen Luce was divided into two parishes- the northern parish became known as New Luce and the southern parish Old Luce. The renowned Covenanter Rev Alexander Peden was minister of New Luce from 1659 until he was ejected from his charge in 1663. New Luce was subsequently absorbed back into Glenluce parish for a time and the New Luce church building remained vacant for 30 years until after 1688 and the reorganisation of the Church of Scotland as a Presbyterian church once again. In 1969, New Luce was linked with the parish of Old Luce under the ministry of Rev W.G Tran, minister of Old Luce. This church building has closed and a service of closure was held for the New Luce Church building on 18th September 2016 . We hope that the building will be taken over by a trust and a heritage centre, with reference to the covenanters and Rev Alexander Peden, will be set up.
We have kept records of the number of those who attend the services Sunday by Sunday for years. The average attendance in
2015 was 53 people, with 2680 people attending 51 services. Numbers are not increasing, mainly due
to older members passing on.
We have a good sound and vision system, after obtaining a grant from the Old Luce Fund, Windfarm Money.
We use a number of sources of Hymn, Songs and Psalms to sing. The words are projected on to a screen. We have an excellent
organist and choir to lead the singing.
The children leave after the children’s address and go to Explorers (Primary School Children) and Bubbles (Pre-school children).
We have been well taught from the Word of God.
Once a month we have a cup of tea or coffee before the service.
It has been our practice to celebrate the Lord’s Supper 4 times a year.
Sunday school for primary school and pre-school children held during the church service. There are 10 children on the register for Explorers and 3 children for Bubbles.
(Sunday Night At The Church Hall) youth group from P7 to S6. About 4 kids come on Sunday evening for fun, games, talk and toast.
During term time to pray for local schools and outreach into them. (Tuesdays.)
Main prayer meeting. We spend time praising God. We thank God for the answers to our prayers, and bring the next week’s activities before Him. We pray for congregational needs, local, national and international needs. We regularly pray for other churches in our area. We pray for missionary partners, Fergusons with OMF in Japan, Carolyn Keep with Diaspora Ministries OMF and others.
Group of 4 meeting each Saturday am to pray, with a focus on praying for revival.
Meets on Wednesday evenings September to March. It is an active and one of the larger Guilds in the Presbytery with almost 30 members last year. Members help with services in a local Residential Home twice a year and at Christmas time. There is the important annual World Day of Prayer service. Everyone from the village is invited to coffee evenings. A lot of money is raised for the annual projects.
Meeting for Young women once a month during the winter.
Group of ladies who study the Bible on Tuesday afternoons.
Monthly Coffee Morning first Thursday every month. Informal meeting where people who do not normally come to church can come along for a coffee and a chat.
Lead the praise every Sunday am. Special anthems at Christmas, Easter and Harvest. They also sing at a Presbytery Songs of Praise.
The church has a Session with 21 elders. Normally meeting 4 times per year.
There is a safeguarding panel, which reports to every stated session meeting.
There is a congregational board is made up of 6 board members who along with the elders make up the board.
We are fortunate to have an excellent Treasurer. We always managed to pay the fees to the Church of Scotland in full and on time. The treasurer is helped by a finance committee.
All church buildings are well maintained and in good order, even if a some are getting on a bit. We do any repairs that the 5 yearly Presbytery inspection advises. We are thankful that we have adequate resources to carry out these repairs.
It is a very beautiful part of Scotland. There is great scenery which changes throughout the year. The village is 9 miles east of the former ferry town of Stranraer and 15 miles west of Newton Stewart, gateway to the Galloway Hills for walkers. It is at the bottom of the Luce valley, the valley of light. There are about 700 people in the village. Living as part of a small village gives everyone greater significance. The quality of life is high. The people are friendly approachable. We know each other and have time for each other. There are not that many people to get to know.
Traffic is generally light and it is easy to get about the area. It is a safe area and there is low crime. There are plenty of activities you can get involved with, walking in the forest parks and lovely beaches. There is a dark sky park for people interested in the astronomy. There are lots of wildlife to be seen. There are good golf courses. For those who like cycling there are lots of avenues open for that, including the skate park in the village park. There is plenty of fishing. The coast is very close, so there is sailing. We are close to ferries to Ireland. It is a good place to bring up children. Local Schools have pupils who do very well. The 2 big local village activities are the Village Sports every August and Tractor Rally in June.
Glenluce village has one shop, a part time post office, a doctors surgery which dispenses medication, a good primary school, and one pub. The parish area is starting to benefit from significant wind farm moneys, which it will continue to receive for 25 years.
The two local towns are Stranraer (population 10800) 9 miles and Newton Stewart (population 4000) 15 miles form Glenluce. There are several shops where you can obtain most things required.